Research and Data Librarian, User Services, James E. Walker Library, Tenure-Track Faculty
Library User Services
MTSU seeks candidates who are committed to innovative teaching, robust research/creative activity, and meaningful service. We also seek to attract a culturally and academically diverse faculty who value working with a diverse student body.
Salary and rank commensurate with education and experience
Job Summary/Basic Function
The James E. Walker Library at Middle Tennessee State University invites applicants for a 12-month, full-time, tenure-track faculty position (#402090) at the rank of assistant or associate professor as the Research and Data Librarian in the User Services Department. This position, reporting directly to the Chair, User Services, leads the library’s efforts to design, deliver, and assess research support services in all aspects of the research lifecycle.
In accomplishing this work, this position will:
• Lead the library’s efforts to advance and innovate support for a diverse and growing MTSU research community of students and faculty.
• Lead or co-teach inclusive library instruction classes and workshops using best practices in support of research design, methodologies, data discovery, knowledge creation, data management, data analysis, research design, and data visualization.
• Provide consultations and differentiated support to individuals and research teams in support of research design, methodologies, data discovery, knowledge creation, data management, data analysis, research design, and data visualization.
• Provide support in the use of software tools or APIs which enable qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis (e.g. SAS, SPSS, NVIVO, Python, R, etc.). Build proficiency with statistical programming programs to wrangle and analyze data.
• Monitor developments and assist researchers with changing data mandates and funder requirements, such as with NEH, NIH, or NSF.
• Coordinate with the Digital Scholarship Librarian on training and referrals to help researchers explore digital publishing tools, long-term storage options, copyright compliance, and data access.
• Provide guidance to faculty and staff on the use of citation and other metrics to appropriately analyze research and communicate impact including use of specific tools such as ROR, ORCID and DMP.
• Serve as the library’s primary contact with the MTSU Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. Collaborate and coordinate with the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs on activities related to advancing the institution’s research agenda.
• Provide skill building opportunities and offer research consultations for library subject liaisons to aid them in their work with disciplinary faculty and students. Contribute to the selection, evaluation, and management of print, electronic, and media resources that support a growing research focus on campus.
• Develop materials such as LibGuides, tutorials, or video instruction to support course/curricular content and research activities.
ALA-accredited master’s degree in library/information science or equivalent by appointment date
Required Related Experience
• Minimum one year of demonstrated direct experience with two or more of the following: research design, research methodologies, data discovery, data analysis, data management, or data visualization. (Expertise is not required in all areas.)
• Minimum one year of professional data services experience
• Minimum one year experience with data analysis tools, such as: SPSS, SAS, STATA, NVivo, or Taguette (or other open-source equivalents)
• Minimum one year demonstrated instruction experience, may include classroom or workshop instruction in an education, community, or industry setting.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills
• Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, D3, QGIS, Gephi, ShinyR, or others, etc.
• Familiarity with best practices for research data management and data dissemination
• Familiarity with applicable data and metadata standards and open access repositories
• Demonstrated knowledge of freely available data sources, data tools, and open-source software for data management, analysis, and visualization
• Experience assigning metadata, transforming metadata, and/or batch editing metadata.
• Experience with data manipulation, and clean up tool such as Open Refine, Pandas for Python, DataWrangler, and tidyverse for R
• Direct participation in research; this may include a funded study, completion of a graduate thesis or doctoral dissertation project.
• Knowledge of current and emerging instructional technologies.
• Academic library work experience; this may include graduate student experience, internships, and part-time work.
• Ability to provide high-quality customer services to connect, support, and engage with a diverse student, faculty, and staff population.
Documents Needed to Apply
In order to successfully apply, applicants are required to include the following documents as separate attachments at the time of online application submittal: a cover letter, their curriculum vitae, a statement of Teaching Philosophy, and their Research Statement or Creative Activities (as appropriate to the discipline).
Special Instruction to Applicants
If you need help in applying, please contact the Faculty Recruitment Specialist at (615) 898-5128.
If you have position-specific questions, please contact Kathleen Schmand at Kathleen.Schmand@mtsu.edu.
MTSU offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to the following:
Click here for additional information.
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- 13 paid University holidays
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Retirement plans
- Optional 401K and 403B Deferred Compensation Plans
- Educational benefits for the employee and their spouse and dependents
MTSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that values diversity in all its forms. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986). Clery Act crime statistics for MTSU are available at http://www.mtsu.edu/police/docs/2021AnnualSecurityReport.pdf or by contacting MTSU Public Safety at (615) 898-2424.
MTSU is a Tobacco & Drug-Free campus.
This position requires a criminal background check. Therefore, you may be required to provide information about your criminal history in order to be considered for this position.
For individuals requiring a reasonable accommodation to apply: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with MTSU, please call 615-898-2929 or email email@example.com.
Application Review Date: 06/30/2022