Dean, College of Liberal Arts
Job Number: FAC157
Work Type: Executive
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Dean, College of Liberal Arts
Dean Liberal Arts
MTSU seeks candidates who are committed to innovative teaching, robust research/creative activity and meaningful service. We also seek to attract a culturally and academically diverse faculty who value working with a diverse student body.
Salary commensurate with education and experience
Job Summary/Basic Function
Middle Tennessee State University seeks a creative, dynamic individual to lead the College of Liberal Arts and invites applications for the position of Dean. The position begins July 1, 2022. Must qualify for appointment at the rank of professor. Expedited tenure will be considered at the time of appointment.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Serving as the chief academic and administrative officer for the College of Liberal Arts (College) concerning MTSU and MTSU Board of Trustees policies, curricula for undergraduate, master’s, and PhD programs;
- Leading development of plans and continuous improvement processes for the College, which is comprised of eleven (11) diverse academic departments and schools;
- Maintaining accreditations for all accreditable programs in the College;
- Providing leadership for chairs/directors, faculty, staff, undergraduate, and graduate students;
- Providing leadership for interdisciplinary programs and centers housed in the College;
- Increasing the College’s focus on and success in research and creative activity;
- Building relationships with external arts, business, and professional communities and agencies;
- Leading student recruitment activities on and off campus and providing oversight of College advising;
- Leading the development efforts of the College.
Terminal degree from an accredited institution in a represented discipline of the College.
Required Related Experience
Three years administrative experience in higher education at the level of chair or above in a supervisory
• Ongoing commitment to supporting excellence in teaching, growth in research and creative activity, service programs, and scholarly inquiry as evidenced by a distinguished record of discipline-related and administrative accomplishments;
•Leadership and communication skills for effective, articulate advocacy for programs and activities of the College’s departments and schools;
• Interpersonal skills that foster and facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as teamwork and consensus among faculty and departments;
• Proven ability to marshal internal and external resources and organize faculty and external constituencies for implementation of College and University missions and strategic plans;
• Accomplishments that demonstrate knowledge of current and emerging trends in higher education and the liberal arts that support excellent faculty, academic programs, and student success;
• Vision for and demonstrated ability to engage in partnerships with external constituencies to meet student and community needs in support of the University’s Carnegie Community Engagement classification and Academic Master Plan.
Documents Needed to Apply
In order to successfully apply, applicants are required to include the following documents as separate attachments at the time of online
application submittal: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of Teaching Philosophy, and a Research Statement or Creative Activities (as appropriate to the discipline).
Special Instruction to Applicants
If you need help in applying, please contact the Faculty Recruitment Specialist at (615) 898-5128.
If you have position-specific questions, please contact Dr. Terry Whiteside at Harold.Whiteside@mtsu.edu.
MTSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that values diversity in all its forms. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986). Clery Act crime statistics for MTSU available at http://www.mtsu.edu/police/docs/2020AnnualSecurityReport.pdf or by contacting MTSU Public Safety at (615) 898-2424.
MTSU is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
This position requires a criminal background check. Therefore, you may be required to provide information about your criminal history in order to be considered for this position.
For individuals requiring a reasonable accommodation to apply: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with MTSU, please call 615-898-2929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Review Date: 10/07/2021
Advertisement Opened: CST
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend