Chair, User Services, James E. Walker Library, Tenure-Track Faculty
Job Number: FAC210
Work Type: Faculty - Tenure-Track
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Categories: Agriculture, Business, Communications, Education, Engineering, Fine & Applied Arts, Health, Psychology and Human/Social/Protective Services, Family/Consumer/Human Sciences, Law and Legal Studies, Liberal Arts, Applied Health, Sciences, Vocation & Technical
Chair, User Services, James E. Walker Library, Tenure-Track Faculty
Library User Services
MTSU seeks candidates who are committed to innovative teaching, robust research/creative activity, and meaningful service. We also seek to attract a culturally and academically diverse faculty who value working with a diverse student body.
The minimum starting salary is $70,500 but varies with education and experience.
Job Summary/Basic Function
The James E. Walker Library at Middle Tennessee State University invites applicants for a 12-month, full-time, tenure-track faculty position (#401040) as Chair of User Services. Applicants must be eligible to meet the criteria for the rank of either associate professor or professor. Expedited tenure upon appointment possible. The anticipated start date for the position is May 1, 2022.
This position, reporting directly to the Dean, works collaboratively with the Dean and leads the library’s efforts to provide excellence, advancement, organization, and innovation of User Services in support of teaching, learning, and research needs at MTSU. Primary responsibilities include strategic management of User Services’ operations, programs, faculty, and staff including writing and oversight of performance evaluations for twelve (12) faculty librarians and twelve (12) staff members. The Chair will serve as a role model as well as guide and direct the collaborative development and implementation of effective strategies for creating and delivering outstanding user-centered program support for online learning, circulation of and access to materials, interlibrary loan, reserves, stacks management, information literacy, library instruction, and research assistance.
The successful candidate will have a commitment to providing exceptional customer service; a commitment to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable educational environment and workplace and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population; knowledge of emerging trends in academic libraries related to public services; and a publication and service record that meets MTSU tenure requirements.
In accomplishing this work, this position will:
- Engage in advancing the library’s liaison program in support of academic faculty teaching and research.
- Influence and leverage the library’s commitment and support of user-centered learning and scholarship to connect User Services’ programs and service strategies with library and university priorities.
- Apply a user-centered orientation to the development and improvement of library services and programs.
- Collaborate with colleagues across library departments to continuously improve services and operations, based on knowledge of emerging trends in libraries, higher education, distance learning, research activities, and available technologies.
- Foster an environment of collegiality and teamwork for the twenty-four (24) FTE department faculty and staff, cultivating a respectful and inclusive work environment.
- Supervise and evaluate faculty as to librarianship, research, service, and other professional activities. Coordinate with direct supervisors and/or write staff performance evaluations. Actively participate in hiring, training, and mentoring of all User Services employees.
- Actively monitor university strategic planning initiatives and provide direction for User Services to plan, implement, and assess library services.
- Actively contribute to the library’s leadership team and advise on organizational planning, budgeting, space use, and service and policy development.
- Use strong analytical, interpretive, and time management skills to plan with purpose around user services, staffing, instruction, and other assigned initiatives.
- Skillfully use technology, online resources, and productivity software to accomplish all tasks.
- Adapt communication strategies and messaging for various audiences and ensure understanding.
ALA master’s in library science, master’s in information science, or in a closely related field from an accredited university program by appointment date
Required Related Experience
Minimum of five (5) years professional library experience and a minimum of three (3) years progressive leadership and supervisory experience in an academic library setting
- Proven leadership ability in access, user, or public services academic library department.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage complex projects successfully.
- Excellent communication skills, including both oral and written; interpersonal; and presentation.
- Demonstrated use of technology to accomplish work and improve workflows.
- Experience with budgeting and planning.
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to thrive in a complex, changing environment with competing demands.
- Familiarity with human resource policies and practices.
- Experience with a subject liaison program.
Documents Needed to Apply
In order to successfully apply, applicants are required to include the following documents as separate attachments at the time of online application submittal: a cover letter, their curriculum vitae, a statement of Teaching Philosophy, and their Research Statement or Creative Activities (as appropriate to the discipline).
Special Instruction to Applicants
If you need help in applying, please contact the Faculty Recruitment Specialist at (615) 898-5128.
If you have position-specific questions, please contact Ms. Alissa Miller at A.Miller@mtsu.edu.
MTSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that values diversity in all its forms. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986). Clery Act crime statistics for MTSU are available at http://www.mtsu.edu/police/docs/2021AnnualSecurityReport.pdf or by contacting MTSU Public Safety at (615) 898-2424.
MTSU is a Tobacco & Drug-Free campus.
This position requires a criminal background check. Therefore, you may be required to provide information about your criminal history in order to be considered for this position.
For individuals requiring a reasonable accommodation to apply: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with MTSU, please call 615-898-2929 or email email@example.com.
Application Review Date: 11/29/2021
Advertisement Opened: CST
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend